Tomorrow we begin our two-part webinar series on the HIPAA Omnibus Rule discussing the critical changes for covered entities and business associates. We’re excited to have Susan A. Miller, JD, a leading consultant and attorney, presenting for us.
- Part I for Covered Entities is on Tuesday, April 9: Attorney Miller addresses the critical updates and changes that affect covered entities.
- Part II for Business Associates is on Thursday, April 11: Attorney Miller addresses the critical updates and changes that affect business associates.
Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll hear in the presentation for covered entities.
Below are ten practical steps covered entities should start today to comply with the HIPAA Omnibus Rule:
- Revise breach notification policies and procedures
- Security Risk Analysis – revisit (or do)
- Develop or revisit Security Incident Response Plan
- Pay special attention to portable media and personal devices
- Train entire workforce
- Prepare incident response team
- Be ready to respond to news media attention – have a designated spokesperson
- Consider tightening Business Associate Agreements, particularly for agents
- Encryption! Make the most of the encryption safe harbor, and Verify document destruction
- Audit access to PHI and enforce policies
Haven’t registered yet for our two-part webinar series? Don’t delay. Registration is limited.