Every generation responds to different stimuli and when you’re talking about a tech saavy group of people who have grown up with the internet, you know expectations are higher & traditional methods will not work.
So what does work?
Gen Y’ers were born between 1981 – 1995 so they are right in the thick of our workforce right now, fast working their way up the ranks. To engage their attention & build effective training, we have to understand what makes them tick.
Growing up with information at their finger tips has meant a shorter attention span; they want things done and they expect it to happen right away, anything else is boring! Oh and nothing is impossible to a Gen Y’er so don’t ever say something can’t be done.
Here are 5 things to consider about Gen Y before you choose an online training system or build your online training courses. Because let’s face it – it HAS to be online!!
- Keep training short & to the point.
- Good communication tools within the training system are a must. Messaging at a minimum!
- Community is important. Build forums & discussion groups around topics.
- No one likes to be told what to do, especially Gen Y. Make sure your training ‘guides’ thinking rather than telling them how it is.
- Incorporate the big picture. Generation Y are very interested in their part in it, and more importantly how they can change it!