Medical Necessity Concepts & the ABN 2019
This course teaches the relationship of Medical Necessity and the conditions under which the Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN) needs to be communicated to your patient with traditional Medicare coverage for noncovered services. It also teaches why it is important to complete the ABN accurately and in a timely manner.
- After completing this course, you will understand:
- Identify how medical necessity affects healthcare coverage and payment decisions.
- Describe the purpose of an Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN) and the part it plays in the Medicare Program.
- State when a provider is expected to complete and present an ABN to a patient.
- Describe what constitutes a valid ABN.
- Explain the ramifications if the ABN is not completed accurately and presented in a timely manner.