Compliance Essentials – Information Privacy (CA)
Seven in 10 Canadians have refused to provide an organization or business with their personal information due to privacy concerns. And with high-profile privacy breaches and cyberattacks regularly making news headlines, who can blame them? This course looks at Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and the lifecycle of information handling. It covers the ten Fair Information Principles as well as organizational requirements under anti-spam legislation (CASL) and how organizations can prevent and best respond to a privacy breach.
- The role and function of PIPEDA, and substantially similar provincial legislation
- What constitutes personal information
- Meeting obligations under Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL)
- The lifecycle of information handling and applying the Fair Information Principles
- Avoiding and managing breaches of privacy
- Steps organizations and individuals can take when privacy has been breached