Medicare Secondary Payer
Since 1980, Medicare has shifted from being the first payer to oftentimes sharing financial responsibility with other sources–depending on the patient’s situation. It is important for health care providers to determine who should be appropriately billed as both primary and secondary payer, as billing Medicare incorrectly is considered fraud. This course will teach you the important questions to ask patients in order to determine the primary payer, and help you understand how to implement billing correctly.
- Define the purpose of Medicare Secondary Payer.
- Describe the questions in the Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire.
- Determine when a provider must complete the Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire.
- Explain Coordination of Benefits concepts related to Medicare Secondary Payer.
- Discuss the ramifications if the Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire is not completed accurately.