Find the Best Learning Platform for Your Enterprise
As you look at learning platforms for your online learning program, you've surely run across many types of learning management system (LMS) software. This robust software offers a platform where you can house and maintain all of your eLearning content from a single location. Depending on the tools you want for your longtime needs, selecting the right LMS at the beginning is a critical decision.
- Build courses in multiple formats with user-friendly embedded content creation tools
- Create assessments that reinforce knowledge transfer and review concepts
- Use built-in surveys to gather feedback to gain insight into assigned courses
- Use a checklist model, created guided tasks and lists for your staff
- Give ownership to your learners by allowing them to search, browse and self-enroll in courses
- Provide your training facilitators insight into coursework success using user-friendly dashboards and custom reporting
Types of Learning Platforms
There are many different companies selling an LMS, but really only two different kinds of software.
Proprietary LMS: This software is sold on a subscription basis. All a business has to do is add their courses and users to get started. It is very robust and easy to use. Most businesses will find their needs met by this option. Any maintenance or troubleshooting problems are handled by the vendor who will help you get them resolved quickly.
Open Source LMS: If you're looking for unlimited customization options, then you might try an open source LMS. This software is sold with the programming left open so you can complete it yourself. It's complex and takes a long time to finish. The oversight and maintenance of the software remains the purchaser's responsibility throughout the life of the LMS.
Like any program, your e-Learning program will continue to grow and evolve from your starting point. Consider the long term when making your LMS selection. While you may want to start off with a basic functionality for your LMS, you may eventually want to look at adding extra features and tools for your users. Making sure you have an LMS where this is an option, without having to completely start over, will help provide continuity of learning for your audience.
Try an LMS
Before making a purchase of any LMS, consider taking advantage of the free trial offered by Litmos. Their LMS is popular worldwide. It has an intuitive interface and robust functionality that makes it a good choice to use for learning online.