HIPAA Privacy and Security Basics (US)
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is designed to protect the privacy of patients’ personal health information and create consistency to related technological and operational practices. Anyone in healthcare, either delivering care or as a service vendor, must handle health information in a way compliant with HIPAA regulations. This course covers the basics of HIPAA privacy, security, information blocking, and breach notification rules. It can be used as a refresher, or as an introduction to the HIPAA privacy and security requirements.
Covered in this course:
- Purpose of HIPAA in protecting PHI (protected health information)
- HIPAA privacy and security regulations, including information blocking
- HIPAA breach notification rule
- Security tips to avoid breaches
- Comply with HIPAA when handling PHI