Important Note: Litmos calls the latest stable version of Shopify’s API meaning that any changes currently planned by Shopify will have no impact on the integration. If you receive an email from Shopify regarding breaking changes please update the identified custom app event version as specified in step 7 of the initial configuration steps below. There are no additional steps required for your integration to continue to work as expected following the release of these changes.
Shopify is a powerful ecommerce website solution that allows you to sell online. To allow for more advanced ecommerce solutions than ever before, Litmos has developed an app to allow you to sell your Litmos courses using Shopify. Some of the advantages to using Shopify are:
- Custom storefront
- Marketing and SEO features
- Coupon Codes
- Bundling courses
- A large selection of payment choices
Create an App on Shopify
- Log in as an administrator and navigate to Apps.
- Select the Develop Apps link.
- Select Create an app.
- In the Create an app dialog, enter the app name and email address of the app developer and then select Create app.
- In the App development page of the new app, navigate to Configuration > Admin API integration and select Configure.
- Select the following access scopes:
- Scroll down the page to Webhook subscriptions and ensure that you are using the latest event version and then choose Save.
- Navigate to Configuration > Storefront API integration and select the following access scopes:
- Choose Save.
- Navigate to API credentials. The API key and secret display.
- Choose Install app and then choose Install in the installation dialog.
Add a Store in Litmos for Shopify
You need to enter Shopify details in Litmos to complete the Shopify integration configuration. If you have multiple stores to connect to the Litmos org, repeat the process as needed to connect up to 10 Shopify stores.
Choose “Add a new Store” and enter the details needed from the Shopify app.
The Shopify Site Name (URL) is only the custom part of the URL. For example, if your URL is http://litmos.myshopify.com/ , you will only enter litmos into the field.
Each store that is connected can also have a Brand associated to the store. This ensures that any customer who purchases a course or learning path from the store and has a new Learner profile created in Litmos will be added to that Brand in the Litmos organization. The Brand feature controls the UI theme and customizations for various groups of Learners, so the Brand UI can be tailored to match the Shopify store UI for a seamless user experience!
Note: The Order in Shopify will need to be “fulfilled” for Litmos to process it. Orders must be fulfilled from bottom to top. You can do this manually in the Orders section, or you can configure your store to automatically fulfill orders in Settings > Checkout > Order processing.
Configure Course in Litmos
To sell a Litmos course in the Shopify store, you need to configure the course to be sold and copy the course code.
- In Litmos, navigate to Content > Courses and select the desired course.
- On the Settings tab, scroll to the bottom and select the I want to sell this course option.
- Scroll up to the top and copy the value in the Course code for importing people in bulk field. This value will be used in Shopify to link the Litmos course and the Shopify product.
Configure Product in Shopify
- Log in as an administrator in Shopify and navigate to Products.
- Select the product to associate with the Litmos course.
- Scroll down to the Inventory section and paste the value copied from the Course code for importing people in bulk field in Litmos into the SKU field in Shopify.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are adding a learning path as a Shopify product, you’ll need to modify the SKU value. In Limos the value displays with -LP as the suffix, but in Shopify you need to use LP_ as a prefix. For example, with a Litmos value of 1234-LP, the Shopify SKU should be LP_1234.
Below are the steps that a user will go through when purchasing a course through Shopify.
- They will navigate to your Shopify storefront.
- They will find and purchase the course through Shopify.
- They will receive an email from Litmos that contains a login key. The purpose of this email is to verify this user.
- Litmos will pull the First Name, Last Name, Email Address (becomes username)
- They will set up a password and enter any additional user profile information.
- They can now take your course in Litmos.
Litmos didn’t process order
The Shopify order needs to fulfilled before Litmos can process it. You can check the Fulfillment status on the Orders page in Shopify. Orders must be fulfilled from bottom to top. You can do this manually in the Orders section, or you can configure your store to automatically fulfill orders in Settings > Checkout > Order processing.
User didn’t receive email
If a user purchased a course or learning path and did not receive an email to login, it is possible that they provided a phone number at checkout. Shopify allows customers to complete the checkout by entering an email or a phone-number.
Since the Litmos integration with Shopify relies on the email address entered by the customer during checkout, if a customer completes the checkout by entering a phone-number instead of an email address, no email will go to the customer. A phone number will exist on the email field for that individual in Litmos and the phone number will also exist on the username field for that individual. Please instruct your customers to checkout using email addresses to ensure they receive Litmos emails.
If you go to Settings > Checkout > Customer contact method, you can require an Email at check out.
Please ensure that the orders in Shopify are not archived. Litmos won’t be able to retrieve the order details of an archived order from Shopify.