Gamification is the application of game mechanics to a practical application such as eLearning to encourage users to work harder to do well. We have included Gamification in Litmos to engage learners and motivate them to complete more courses to earn points and badges.
To enable Gamification, navigate to Account > Litmos Features. Select the Badges/Gamification Feature tile.
Select Enable Gamification and Save.
Creating a Gamification Item (Badges and/or Points)
To create a Gamification Item navigate to Account > Litmos Feature and select Badges/ Gamification.
Select ‘Add Badge/Points’.
Give the Gamification Item a name.
(Optional) Set a numerical point amount for the Gamification Item
(Optional) Check the box for ‘Assign a badge for this achievement’.
(Optional) Add a Description
If assigning a badge, give the badge a Name. Choose a badge and color from our premade badges or upload your own design.
Note: If you decide to create your own badge, we recommend the badge size is 35px x 35px. The file types we accept are either a .png, .jpg, or .gif.
Select a Trigger Event and select what will be required to earn the badge and/ or points set above.
Course or Learning Path Completion
- All of the selected Courses/Learning Paths
- Any of the selected Courses/Learning Paths
- A set number of the selected Courses/Learning Paths
- All the selected Modules
Posts in Discussion Group
- Set the number of discussion posts
Add all Courses and/ or Learning Paths or Modules that will be required to earn the badge and/ or points set above.
The Gamification Item is now ready to use.
Gamification Items (Badges/Points) can now be grouped together to create Gamification Levels. Gamification Levels are created via Accounts Settings > Litmos Features > Badges/Gamification > Gamification Levels.
- Click ‘Add Level’
2. Enter a Gamification Level Name
3. Select the Gamification Items that must be completed in order to attain the level
4. Click Save
The Gamification Level allows an additional grouping of badges/points to be created on top of the Gamification Items to denote progress for a learner.
On completion of the relevant requirements to attain a gamification item, if a notification has been created for the gamification item, it will appear as a pop-up modal that can be read by the learner and then dismissed.
Steps to create Gamification notification
- Navigate to Account settings> Litmos features> Badges/Gamification section
- Navigate to Gamification notification section
- Click on Add notification
- Give this notification a meaningful name.
- In the Text section, enter the notification message that should be displayed to the user.
- Select the notification trigger and save the changes.
Gamification in People View
The Gamification Tab under People displays both the Badges/Points and the Gamification Levels attained by the learner. Gamification Items (Badges/Points) and Gamification levels can be removed from the user directly from the Gamification Tab.
Gamification from a Learner Point of View
When badges/ points have been activated by an Account Owner, a learner can see their badges and/ or points by navigating to their Achievements tab. In addition to seeing their Achievements and be able to download their certificates, they can view the badges and/ or points they have earned.
Learners will also be able to view their standing from the Leaderboard. View the Leaderboard section for more information.
Note: Once a learner has earned a badge and/ or points, it cannot be removed (unless an Administrator removes it); however, they cannot earn more than one of any given badges. Gamification Items and Levels cannot be awarded retrospectively.
Reporting and Viewing Results as an Admin
Administrators can see Learner’s badges/ points in a few places:
- Going to the People Quick Report within the Reports tab and selecting Points Earned and/ or Badges Earned from the column selector between the search field and Filter this report buttons.
- Going to the Gamification tab within a user’s profile.