What defines an ILT Session?
An ILT Session is a single curriculum or subject presented to learners in a module within a course. The module will become complete for the learner once the learner has attended/completed a session. A session can be a one-day event (Single Day Session) or multiple dates/times (Multiday Session). A session will always build on the information previously presented during the session. When you have more than one session in a single module, each session will have the same curriculum, but each session may occur at different times, allowing learners to register for the session most convenient for them. If a learner is to complete two separate (different) curricula, the sessions would be created in two separate modules.
In the ILT Module called “Intro to Litmos,” a training session takes place on three different days over three weeks, which makes it a Multiday session. Because many people need to attend the training, we will offer two separate but identical multiday sessions, one on Mondays and one on Tuesdays. Both sessions will cover the same training so both sessions will be created in just one module. The learners will choose one of the multiday sessions, and after attending all three days of the session, their module will become complete after ‘Roll Call’ is processed. (Roll Call tab is discussed further below).
To Add an ILT Module and Session
- Create or navigate to the course where you want to put the ILT > Add Modules > Create > Live Session or ILT > Title the Module and add a Module Description, then Save.
- Fill out the “Create a new live session” form, including location, date and time, and instructor. Only select Recurring Session if the same curriculum is to be offered repeatedly.
- ‘Display session details….’ option to allow learners to register for in-progress sessions until the end of the session. This optional setting could be enabled during the session scheduling process. Note that when this setting is enabled, “Close Registration x Day(s) before the session will be disabled.”
- Seats Available – Once this number has been reached, learners can no longer sign up for that session. (At this point, only Admins/ instructors will be able to add learners to this session manually)
- Waitlist: When enabled, learners are added to the waitlist when the seat limit is reached. Waitlisted users will have a waitlist timestamp, reflecting the exact time the learner joined the waitlist. Waitlisted users can be added to the session in the order they join the waitlist.
Adding multiple dates to a session (Creating a Multi-day session)
After creating a Single Day Session, navigate to the session and click Edit,>Select ‘Add new day’ or ‘Add bulk Days’,>Fill in the required session information and Save.
Administrators can also perform conflict checks on multi-day sessions before scheduling days in bulk.
Once a Session is created, you will be able to manage the Session through the four tabs listed below
Once the ILT module has been created in a course, the Calendar view in the Sessions sub-tab will be the default tab when the module is accessed.
Additional sessions for the same module can be added by selecting the “Add new session” button. Each course will be color coded and appear on the calendar along with all ILT module sessions the user is an instructor for. To see who has registered for each session select roll call next to each session in the List View in the Sessions tab.
Registration (Register) subtab
Assign the Live Session to users and view which assigned users have registered and completed the module.
Select “Assign existing people to the course” to assign users to the course from within the ILT module at the Registration subtab. When assigning a Course with an ILT Session in it, a user will not be enrolled until they have Registered or until an Administrator has enrolled (Registered) the user by selecting the box next to a user’s name and selecting Register to a session on the right. If an Administrator has enrolled a user, the user will be able to decline and choose another session.
Admins can also choose the session-specific view where they can select “Assign to existing people to the session” to assign users to the specific ILT session. Users will be registered to a session and the course by selecting the box next to a user’s name and selecting Register to session.
Inactive Users: When a user is inactive, they get unregistered from future Sessions. If the user is reactivated, they will not be automatically re-registered to the future session(s). Inactive users will not be unregistered from past sessions; however the user won’t appear in the Register and Roll call tab. If the user is reactivated, they will again show Registered to those past ILT sessions and appear in the Roll Call as well.
Note: If an administrator does not Register a user to a session, the user will be able to choose which session they would like to attend by navigating to the course and selecting the session or from the course assignment email.
Roll Call subtab
View who has signed up for each session, track which sessions each user has attended, give them a grade, and mark them complete. Change the session you view by selecting the session from the dropdown menu. If you need to, download the roster in a CSV format.
Rollcall can also be bulk updated through the UI. This allows admins to easily mark learners attended or absent and mark them complete or incomplete. The score cannot be bulk updated through the UI.
Inactive Users: When a user is made inactive, they get unregistered from any future Sessions. If the user is reactivated, they will not be automatically re-registered to the future session(s). Inactive users will not be unregistered from past sessions; however, the user won’t appear at all in the Register and Roll Call tab. If the user is reactivated, they will again show Registered to those past ILT sessions and appear in the Roll call as well.
Note: If a Roster is uploaded with users who are not registered for a session, those users will be ignored. This feature will not register them for a session.
Change the Title, description, code, and settings, or delete the live sessions.
Navigate to Account –> Features –> Instructor Led Training to create and access these ILT management lists:
- Location list
- Instructor List
- Resource List
- Additional Settings
It’s important to add locations to this master Location list so that these locations appear to Admins when creating an ILT session. This way, the Administrator knows this location is available to select by default. Admins can also search on locations and update as needed.
Example of choosing a location while creating an ILT session. A search option allows the admins to find the relevant session quickly and with ease:
When adding a location to the master list of ILT locations for the account, be sure to add as much detail as possible so that the Administrator can “View Location Details”, which is most helpful during the scheduling process:
Location details added to Master Location List:
To add an Instructor:
- Navigate to the Account Settings
- Select the Litmos Features sub-tab
- Select the icon next to “Instructor Lead Training.”
- From the “Instructors” section, select “Add an Instructor.”
- Find the user(s) to promote to an instructor and check the box next to their name(s)
- Click “Assign”
NOTE: An instructor needs to have an email address in their profile to allow calendar invites to function with Outlook.
Once a user has been listed as an instructor:
- An Admin can select them as an instructor when creating or editing a session.
- An Admin can view all the sessions they are scheduled to instruct by selecting the “Instructor Schedule” in their profile.
- Instructors will have the “Instructor” tab in learner view where they will be able to: view past and future sessions, mark Roll Call, Completion status, and ‘Time off’ for learners who are registered to the sessions they instruct.
- Admins and Account Owners will be able to manage and review this user’s Instructor details from the User Profile in their ‘Instructor’ subtab.
An instructor can be promoted to Proficient Instructor for any course at the course’s ‘Proficient Instructors’ subtab. Afterward, admins will see a ‘Proficient Courses’ subtab on the user’s profile which lists the courses for which the user is considered an expert trainer. Also, when creating/editing an ILT Session, the Proficient Instructors will be listed first in the list of available Instructors.
Once one or more Instructors have been added to an ILT session, they’ll appear on the page’s Instructor section. To check for any conflicts relating to the availability of an Instructor(s) for the session(s), click the “Check Conflict” button on the session creation page.
If the session type is GoToTraining, WebEx, or Zoom, just the instructors who are authorized for the integrations can be selected as instructors. Admin will need to select the “Host” for the session. This instructor will lead the online session in GoToTraining, WebEx, or Zoom and therefore be the session leader for the meeting..
Once Resources have been added by an Account Owner, admins creating or editing sessions can select the Resource from within the Create/Edit Session view. Resources are items or services that Instructors may use to help facilitate their training sessions, such as a laptop or projector.
Once Resource(s) have been selected in the create/edit session view, they will display under the Resources section on the page. To check for any conflicts relating to resource availability for the session (s), click the “Check Conflict” button on the session creation page.
Resource details will be available much like the location details during the ILT scheduling process’ View resource details’.