A Video Assessment is a module type that can be added to a course. When a Video Assessment is added to a course, all Learners assigned to that course will upload a recorded video into that module that fulfills the directions listed for that Video Assignment. The Video Assessment can be recorded in the module itself, or it can be pre-recorded and uploaded. Once the video is uploaded, reviewers can give comments and grade the video and it will require module marking by an Administrator. Comments can be submitted to the Learner and the video can be rated, reviewed, or marked.
Video Assessments are reviewed manually whereas AI Video Assessments are also analyzed using AI to determine the rate of speech, use of keywords (those you want included/excluded) and overall sentiment analysis as well.
Creating a Video Assessment
- If Video Assessments have not been enabled for the account, as an Account Owner navigate to Accounts > Litmos Features > Enable Video Assessments.
- From within the “Content” section of a Course, select “Create” and then select “Video Assessments”.
- Give the Module a title and the text or question describing the exercise to the Learner. Description is optional.
- Edit any additional settings and click Save. The additional settings are optional. See below for more details.
Note: Video Assessments is a Premium feature and may be purchased at an additional price. The AI analysis feature is available with this purchase
Video Assessment Settings
- Time Limit – The amount of time a Learner will have to make a video. The learner will be prompted with this limit upon opening the module and a countdown will be shown while the recording is in progress. The maximum time limit is now updated to 15 minutes.
- Display of Results – If checked, the Learner will be able to view the rating(s) and comment(s) given. All ratings and comments shown to the Learner will be anonymous. The results will be available after the module has been marked by and Administrator or Team Leader. If unchecked, the Learner will not be able to review the rating(s) and comment(s).
- Review/Marking Options
If neither option is selected, when the video is submitted by a learner it can be rated.
- Enable Review – When this option is checked, email addresses can be selected, from the pop-up list, and/or ‘Manager’ can be selected, to receive an email when a Video Assessment has been completed by a Learner. These emails will include submitted video along with the ability to give a rating and a comment (review). See the “Reviewers” section below for more details.
- Enable Marking-If Enable Marking is selected, a marking guide file can be uploaded and/or marking guide text added when creating a question. These will be displayed to the marker when reviewing the responses submitted by a learner.
- Enable AI Analysis – When this option is checked, Video assessments will be auto-marked and ‘Machine analysis score’ provided for Learners and Administrators review. Admins can review the videos submissions alongside the machine analysis scores to decide on final scores, feedback, and completion statuses. If unchecked, the module will behave as a regular video assessment. See the AI Auto-marking of Video Assessments section for more information.
Taking a Video Assessment as a Learner
When the learner launches a Video Assessment module, the learner will see the use case instructions set by the creator of the content. They will click the record button, record their video based on the use case, choose a thumbnail for the video, and then Submit the video. The learner will also have the option to upload a file. The file limit is 500MB, and the file types accepted: mp4, mpg, avi, mov, mkv, wmv, ogv, webm, and flv.
Note: The learner may be prompted to access their camera and microphone. The learner must select “Allow” to proceed in recording a video.
If the settings of the Video Assessment has Reviewers enabled, Admin can select ‘Specific User’ to add email addresses and/or ‘Managers’ to receive an email with the video and that user can provide their comments and rating. Managers will only receive the video assessments of their direct reports and no one else.
Once the video has been rated by an administrator by using the Marking Required feature (see below) or that link has been used to review the video, the video cannot be reviewed by Reviewers anymore.
The completion trigger will occur when an admin marks the module through the Marking Required feature from within Litmos.
Marking Video Assessments can be found in:
- Marking column in reports
- Next to the module within the course
When no option is selected the marker can rate the video uploaded.
When Enable Review is selected, the marker can add feedback and rate the video supplied. Review allows multiple Administrators to rate and provide feedback. This is averaged for the Overall rating.
When Enable Marking is selected for the Video Assessment, the marking guide text is displayed, and the marking document can be accessed. The learner is given a mark out of 100 (%), in this example 80 out of 100. The Marker can also add feedback and mark the question as correct/incorrect.
This is the learner view of a marked video assessment with ratings (Enable Marking selected by Admin) displaying the feedback, mark and pass or fail status.
Please Note: The marker will determine a failure or pass. This is not automatically determined by the system as different assessments may require different standards or levels of competence to be deemed sufficient to pass.
When the assessment is an AI Video Assessment, the AI analysis will also be displayed in each case.